The novile family (“Nineness”) is like a trine but to the third power
As I first described in Aspects on Steroids, noviles appear to have an ethereal character, but this falls away once one steps outside one’s incarnated reality. Noviles become quite matter-of-fact because their essential characteristic is joy from acceptance of the world as it is, joy from “loving it anyway,” finding the beauty in it. The novile family (“Nineness,” thank you David Hamblin!) is like a trine but to the third power. Unlike quintile and septile people, novile people do not try to change the world; they accept it as it is. And where Threeness—trines—harmonizes with the world subjectively and instinctively, Nineness perceives the diversity of the world, accepts the apparent chaos of it all, and feels love and joy.
As Zorba says, Nineness loves “the whole catastrophe.”
Joy only results when one acts spontaneously from a spirit/soul place. The mind cannot conjure joy. So Nineness acceptance is far from resignation, in case you were wondering. The joy, for me, anyway, results from seeing the pain, beauty, incongruity, immensity of the universe, our incarnated “world,” feeling it according to our values, which cause us to love some things and hate other things. I associate this kind of earthly “love” and “hate” with ego energy because it is vibrant and lacks detachment.
For example, in Life and Death, I shared the surprising joy I had discovered by realizing that I was already dead, that I saw so clearly that time only existed within the incarnated world. I discovered so much freedom from the lack of fear of death. I felt more alive than ever. I associate this kind of ethos with Nineness.
Continue reading “Noviles and Novile Triangle Interpretation”
The core symbolism of retrogrades is that the energy that planet symbolizes doesn’t flow with social norms. It’s not going in the same direction as the norm.
We can develop a new understanding of the significance of retrogrades in astrology by regarding them in the context of life itself. At the most fundamental level, incarnation refers to a relationship between a spirit/soul and a body in which it resides for the duration of the incarnation (life). In this context, retrogrades invite us to look at that area of life (the house in which the retrograde planet sits) from a detached, spiritual point of view.
Alternatively, if the spirit/body/incarnation metaphor doesn’t work for you, let’s say instead that you have different perspectives at different stages of life. Imagine yourself old, and remember how you saw life when you were 20, 40, etc. You are looking at your life, evaluating, and remembering things you tried and their results. The reflective space that we just created can help you understand retrogrades at a different level.
Since the energy from planets in retrograde motion doesn’t work the same way as “society’s” expression of that energy, it confronts us with being original, with breaking our own paths. The friction we experience in our younger years invites us to learn and develop some detachment from it. Here’s how to do it. Continue reading “New Insights on Retrogrades in Astrology”
This month is about swimming in subtlety, enjoying or ruing surprise, and a strong social vibe. Here’s your guide to enjoying the waves while avoiding the undertoe
Astro Weather Snapshot
Are you into social change, unusual surprises, and constant change? This Pisces New Moon will have you swimming in subtlety among eddies of opportunity for social organizations, business, and relationships. Astro Weather will show you how to avoid dangerous whirlpools, too.
- Above all, this is the month to let your intuition guide you. Life will be full of subtlety. People will unknowingly make decisions with their intuition, and you may be surprised at how easily they change their minds (including you!).
- People who like to live according to logic and predictable outcomes will be frustrated unless they learn to be open to change and social awareness. If your projects are buffeted by disruptive ideas, avoid the trap of pushing back in principle. The energy this month is against resistance. Consider the disruption, whether new information, changing priorities, or other. Work with the people who present the disruption. This can lead to opportunity where you least expect it.
- In business, social aspects come into view. People tend to be unusually sensitive to underserved people, territories, or segments, and opportunity may come from these areas.
- If you’re looking for romance, the Piscean vibe holds true. Be ready to entertain unusual circumstances and changeable people. Romance and business relationships tend to happen unpredictably, so be aware and open. Let your intuition guide you.
- If you’re a person who likes to “push for the close” and insist on commitments, curb that desire because it will alienate people this month; they will just swim away. This is another of this month’s dangerous eddies.
Read on for your navigator’s guide to this mysterious yet wondrous sea…
Continue reading “Pisces New Moon [Astro Weather]”
Astro Weather Snapshot
Calling all bohemians, disruptors, revolutionaries, and people who “think different”! The Aquarian party is in full swing!
If you are into social causes that benefit the collective, you will have a blast this month as the vibe is all about improving inequalities and inequities of all kinds. If you are opposed to these types of social changes, batten down your hatches!
- This New Moon aligns people’s will, emotions, thoughts, and relationships around unusual, innovative, disruptive ideas that benefit groups of people. There is tremendous and widespread support for socially oriented ideas.
- However, when it comes to acting on these ideas, the oomph will tend to dissipate, and this may be confusing, and Astro Weather tells you the answers to this quiz!
- As long as you are not expecting action, you can benefit yourself and others by exploring ideas.
- Be open to “out there” ideas around your projects or initiatives at work. These will tend to come “out of the blue,” and you can change the game by being open to them and improving your programs and projects.
- If you feel like resisting challenging ideas, this tends to backfire. Since this month is more about ideas than action, you gain a lot and sacrifice little by being open.
- This is a fantastic month to make new friends. People will tend to be wacky and convivial.
- Romance will tend to be cerebral, but when it happens, it tends to be sudden and to occur under surprising or unusual circumstances—or with unusual or unconventional partners.
Read on for your guide through the Aquarian fun house!
Continue reading “Aquarius New Moon [Astro Weather]”
Astro Weather Snapshot
Earnestness and jokers
Try to be ready for anything this month, which is not your mother’s Capricorn New Moon! We will see very unusual happenings and effects.
- The main energy of the month is earnest and serious, like a well planned trip, but we will face all kinds of surprises and disruptions to our plans. By accepting them as the weather, we can look for opportunities. People who have the attitude that “it was supposed to…” will be frustrated.
- Be on the lookout for angry people who seem to want to fight. Try to understand that they are frustrated and are not themselves. We all feel this month’s strange cocktail of energies: this month has a heavy pour that includes wounding and healing, transformation of social structures (government), and wild unpredictable disruption. It will be difficult to remain calm.
- Knowing these energies can enable you to experience them with more grace (that’s what Astro Weather is all about ;^). If your plans and structures get jangled, don’t take it personally. All we can do is to go through them with as much grace and awareness as we can muster.
- Social inequity and other social ills will be top of mind this month, and we will probably see very creative and disruptive ideas emerge.
- Business will tend to be jerky but potentially very creative. If you can adjust your goals and outlook to this energy, you might achieve rare things.
- Uranian disruptions interfere with plans, but if you give into them and look for opportunity, things often turn out much better than planned!
- Romance will be surprising, too. The vibe is serious and conservative, but romance can blaze under surprising situations or with surprising or unconventional people.
- The USA will be strikingly affected this month since its natal Pluto is conjunct Pluto and New Moon.
Read on for your guide through the fun house! Continue reading “Capricorn New Moon [Astro Weather]”
Tonight I am thinking about relationships I have had, and I will share a few things that I have learned about what most of us call “love.” As I’ve written before, English is poor in words about love; in Greek, there are many distinct words that translate to “love” in English. Tonight, I am thinking about 7th house relationships, “I—Thou” exclusive relationships in which one has an intimate dance with “the other” and learns about oneself in the process.
Even more interestingly perhaps, I’ll share how doing charts has enabled me to discover a new way to think about relationships and love. Continue reading “What Is “Love?””
I am in deep reflection about the spiritual meaning of Neptune’s transit of houses.
Brief Reflections on Neptune
Neptune is difficult to think about and write about, I think because thoughts and words are chiefly earthly artifacts, so they are in the wrong dimension. But we are here, so here we are. I think Neptune is more difficult to grasp than Pluto or Uranus, at least at a fundamental level.
I increasingly think about incarnated life as living on two channels, a spiritual one that transcends this incarnation, and an earthly one that IS this incarnation (more in On Being Incarnate). For me, Neptune is connected to the spirit channel where thoughts and earthly actions don’t really apply. I have to use my “higher sense” and perception. I see incarnations as spiritual journeys.
I have an immediate selfish reason for wanting to perceive Neptune. It has a unique place in my birth chart, being part of one quintile yod and three septile yods. It also bisects my tight Pluto–Chiron opposition, which is central to my early life drama. I sense that Neptune is closely related to septiles. Continue reading “How Neptune Transits Reveal Spiritual Journeys”
The chart ruler is the planet that rules the sign of the Ascendant of a natal chart or composite chart, and it offers fascinating insights into one’s character, relationships, and life patterns.
In order to use the chart ruler, you must know your birth time or have your chart rectified (an astrologer derives your Ascendant by working with you to analyze your life events). First, I’ll describe how it works in charts generally, and then I’ll discuss some fascinating ways it affects the rhythm of your life. Continue reading “Another Window into Astrology: the Chart Ruler”
Astro Weather: Snapshot
Get ready for a month of surprises! Behind the bull’s placid exterior lurks a quintet of Aquarian energy that will keep us all on our toes—in frustrating and delightful ways, depending on how we meet it.
- Most of us have experienced total disruption of our neat work and home “lives,” which is the kind of thing that happens when Uranus passes through Taurus. This overall theme is strengthened because New Moon will occur while conjunct Uranus this month.
- The beautiful thing about this situation is, one person’s disruption is another person’s creativity and growth: our responses to Uranus’s throwing monkey wrenches into things is what makes the difference. Our attitudes towards the sudden, surprising changes that Uranus offers up is what creates our experience. This post will get you ready, so you can take it all in stride and not get too upset if you trip and fall here and there.
- This month offers an opportunity to make new friends and spark new romances—and these will tend to follow the Uranian theme. If you’re open to it, you may meet people under surprising circumstances, or surprising people, for romance and/or friendship.
- Business will be a mixed bag because surprise will be everywhere. You can help by being ready and calming some of your colleagues (the planners) who get frustrated at the surprises that occur.
- Again, the lesson of Uranus is, when you give into its disruption, the eventual outcome is often better than planned, but it doesn’t occur in the usual way.
Are you ready? Let’s peel the onion. Continue reading “Taurus New Moon [Astro Weather]”